Last night I stayed with Jill Schlink(another soccer friend) and her family in St. Louis. I was planning on doing something cool in the city before arriving at her house, like going to the Arch or to the Zoo(I've been to both before), but I ended up sunk into a big chair in a Barnes and Nobles writing notes and emails and just resting. Her siblings had various sporting events and she had class until late, so I had to entertain myself for a while. It was a good opportunity to just sit and not drive.
In the last two houses I've been at, Jill's and Mason's(in Memphis), I've been asked some really good questions about my trip.
Why alone?
Because I can come and go as I please, and so I don't get annoyed with anyone. Spending tons of hours in the car with someone who I don't particularly like doesn't appeal to me at all. Also, because there aren't many(or any) close friends of mine who have the freedom to drive around for a month.
Will you write a book?
No, I'll write a blog. I'm not really doing anything interesting enough to write a book about.
You could write about the people you meet.
Yes, but then I'd have to publish it, and I don't know if I'd want to do that.
Do you have GPS? How did you find our house?
I have maps, a computer(where I use Google maps...but don't print them out generally), and a keen sense of direction. And then I might tell them how I found Mason's neighborhood without knowing anything besides that he lived a bit North of Memphis. Then I pulled over, looked up his address online, and found that I was only blocks away.
So now I'm sitting in a Golden Arches in Iowa. This is my first time to Iowa! People in Iowa are just like I would expect them to be. There are a lot of clean-cut older men wearing baseball caps that say "John Deere" or "Bass Pro Shops" on them. There are women with long braids and lots of little kids. And there isn't much in the way of diversity. My bet is that 70% of the people in this restaurant are of Dutch ancestry. But I like it, because I do like Dutch people.
You could write about the people you meet.
Yes, but then I'd have to publish it, and I don't know if I'd want to do that.
Do you have GPS? How did you find our house?
I have maps, a computer(where I use Google maps...but don't print them out generally), and a keen sense of direction. And then I might tell them how I found Mason's neighborhood without knowing anything besides that he lived a bit North of Memphis. Then I pulled over, looked up his address online, and found that I was only blocks away.
So now I'm sitting in a Golden Arches in Iowa. This is my first time to Iowa! People in Iowa are just like I would expect them to be. There are a lot of clean-cut older men wearing baseball caps that say "John Deere" or "Bass Pro Shops" on them. There are women with long braids and lots of little kids. And there isn't much in the way of diversity. My bet is that 70% of the people in this restaurant are of Dutch ancestry. But I like it, because I do like Dutch people.
My dear friend Beth is from Iowa :) I enjoyed the open fields, cheap rent for apartments, pumpkin patches (obviously wasn't there in the summer :), and super friendly family-oriented people
ReplyDelete