Thursday, June 2, 2011

The lesson I learned today

Well, I'm not sure what kind of message I'm sending by posting twice in a day. It is important that I relay this, though. The lesson I learned today was to double check the google maps directions. Though I didn't need any directions to get to Janie's house, considering that the last time I was at Nona's house in Fairfax I was 10 years old, I needed to actually print out some directions. I printed them off from Janie's house but made two mistakes.

1) I didn't put in her actual address as the starting point, just 'Greensboro, NC'. This meant that I spent about a half hour looking for a major highway, or better yet, the 29, which was the specific highway I was looking for. Thankfully, it was early enough in the morning that I looked at it as an adventure. I thought I would be really proud of myself for finally finding the road all on my own without any help. I ended up asking for help.

2) I didn't review the directions before I printed them off to see if I was taking the major highway, which is what I wanted to do. I realized soon into the trip that I would be on 2 or 4 lane roads most of the time. Google maps must have thought I wanted to go the most direct route. So, I drove throughout the Virginia countryside today, which is beautiful. Next time, though, I think I should go on the highway. I kept on being scared that I had missed a turn, would drive for hours in the wrong direction farther into sparse farmland, run out of gas, not have cell coverage, etc...

Also today, I began listening to my audio books. I have Sherlock Holmes, which is nice because it's not a huge commitment...each case is 30 minutes long. And very engaging.

Now, I am at Nona's house(who, for those who don't know, is my second cousin once removed...I think). I'm in my spacious room drinking that salty Middle Eastern yogurt drink while she cooks dinner upstairs. This looks to be a great few days.

1 comment: