Monday, June 27, 2011

A big mileage day.

Today was my longest driving day so far. It was probably something like eleven and a half hours. And I'm still alive! And awake! The coolest thing about driving so far in one day is the change in the landscape.

You go from this...
(Garden of the Gods, in Colorado Springs)

...to this...
(The Rockies)


...to this...
(Somewhere in Utah)


...all in the matter of hours. It's incredible to see the diversity of the country we live in--the diversity of creation. It's sad, because all of these pictures don't really make good pictures because you can't get a sense of the bigness of them. I gave up taking pictures of a lot of things because they fall so short.

I spent two nights in Colorado Springs with Marcie. It was especially great because I got to spend all day Sunday with her. This included two great worship services and a barbeque at a Ranch after the morning service. As Marcie says: "They know how to do beef." What a great time--a culturing experience for sure. They were talking about team roping and rodeos and other things that I don't know anything about, so I did a good job of smiling and nodding. Though Marcie might argue that I talked a lot...and she may be right :). I also got to slide down the slide that is in their house. That's right, they have a slide from the top story to the basement. Fun!

Today I got in the car ready to go home. Since there was something like 17 hours between me and my destination, I had to break it up. Tonight I am in St. George, Utah. My dad said a lot of people we know--his words were 'everyone'--have broken down in St. George. Here's hoping that I don't break down so close to home!

2 comments:

  1. Jane, we've gone through St. George a few times and haven't broken down there (yet!) We're looking forward to seeing your smiling face. Today when I discovered your blog and was looking at it Chloe peeked over my shoulder and said "Oh, its Jane!" I was happy to know she remembers you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be praying for a safe remainder of your trip. How fun that you got to stay with Marcie- sounds like a fun experience! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete