Yesterday morning I set off the alarm at the Sluis's. I was trying to let Sugar(the dog) out of the house in the morning, before Hannah was awake, but forgot about the alarm system, the password of which I don't know. So I opened the door and in 30 seconds there was a man's voice shouting: "Intruder, Intruder, Leave Immediately!" and the alarm going off. I'm sure you all know what house alarms sound like. They are loud. It ended up that the police had to come to the house and we sheepishly said that we were fine. So that was a happening.
As I'm heading north(last night I stayed in Memphis, tonight in St. Louis), the weather has gotten considerably more tolerable. No longer is it necessary to eat popsicles, blast the AC, and feel like you desperately need to shower every two hours. On Saturday Hannah and I went on a walk in the military park in the muggy weather. There's nothing quite like seeing the green green grass and trees(and kudzoo) the blue blue sky and the sharp white monuments in contrast.
I gave up on listening to The Last American Man and am now listening to a Series of Unfortunate Events book by Lemony Snicket. I'm on book 12, the Penultimate Peril. It is ever so much better than hearing about Eustace Conway. This is a witty, fun book, and makes the time go by fast. I keep hearing quotable lines and forgetting them. Maybe I'll have to get the hard copy of the book so I can mark it up.
Also, yesterday my odometer got to 92,800. This means that I have driven 4,000 miles since the beginning of my trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment